Why I want my
The user benefits of coordinated TV + Web
The core value
of CoTV is that Web content that supplements the user's TV (or other video) experience is
automatically located and made available on the user's PC/phone (by the CoTV portal) -- without
need for the user to navigate the Web to try to find it.
- Users will find that valuable, natural, and easy, and it
will increase how extensively they multitask TV with the Web.
- The evidence users will recognize that value is that masses
of users are already making such TV-Web connections on their own, even though they now
must do this context-matching with only their own head -- CoTV will provide a power assist
to greatly facilitate that
Easy access to a wealth of relevant enhancement content.
(Much of this content already exists on the Web, but viewers must work to
find it. Additional content can be created specifically for coactive use, by program
producers and others, and new kinds of user-generated content related to
TV/video viewing become easy to create).
- Movies/Series: cast, credits, filmography,
reviews/criticism, scripts, fan sites, DVD extras - purchase DVDs, etc.
- Sports: scores, stats, players, replays, other
views/camera angles, other games/action alerts (like NFL Sunday Ticket), fantasy -
purchase tickets, sporting goods, memorabilia
- News/Documentaries: replays, text, tickers,
charts/stats, deeper info, sidebars, background, related stories/videos - purchase related
books, video, etc.
- Games: play along, compete with others - premium fee
services, game products
- Music: artist, title, lyrics, extras, discography,
fan sites - purchase CD, concert info/tickets
- Kids/education: games, feedback/participation,
deeper info - purchase books, products
- Social Web: tweets, chat, postings -
automatically tied to a current program and to other viewers of that program
Direct response to TV ads and powerful shopping support and
- Advertiser offers, details, demos, comparison
guides, locators, product reviews/ratings, self-service, select/configure, purchase - with
ongoing user-control of the degree of intrusion
- Third-party offers and independent shopping guides
Advanced TV viewing support and "Media Concierge"
- Power program guides (preferably based on
smart-client intelligence): high-resolution, rapid-scroll grids, program details, super
navigation, discovery, and searching, massive VOD content catalogs (for EOD,
"Everything-On-Demand"), personalized filters/genres, recommendations (with
private, local profile) - plus related e-commerce/ads.
- VOD library search and order placement: Web based
search, filtering, alerting, orders
- The Web-as-program-guide: reviews, blogs, chat,
zines, fan sites (from the entire Web; just click to view)
- Services that span all a user's content sources.
Automatic direct-access linkage
- All automatically at hand for currently viewed
programs and ads
- All fully hyperlinked and surf-able
- Optional push of program-synchronous (time-based)
- Direct response transaction processing and
messaging, with full standard Web CRM support
- Support for both scheduled and on-demand programs
- All linked to associated chat/forums/blogs/etc.
The right tool for the job, without interference (TV and/or
- Two-screens - for a dual, "lean back" +
"lean forward" user interface ("10' + 2' UI")
- No obstruction of TV screens with obtrusive overlays or shrunken
- Web content via a full Web browser on a high-resolution,
interaction-friendly PC -- or on a convenient netbook, music player, game, or phone display
- Access to the full content and transactional power of the
open Web - all fully aware of TV-context
- Wireless laptops, netbooks, tablets, phones, and other portable screens
increasingly at hand in the home as ideal second-screen devices
- Increasing prevalence and comfort with media multitasking
- Optional "link-and-pause"
retention of links and/or use of DVR pause, for selective focus on either TV or Web while
holding a place in the other
- Rich options for deep personalization under private control
within the viewer's PC/phone (or by trusted infomediaries)
Teleshuttle offers consulting on coactive
media services, and license to pending patents to strategic partners on win-win terms.
CoTV technology can be offered by service
providers in TV, Internet, e-commerce, and allied fields. Teleshuttle seeks to cooperate
with all industry participants to develop and apply these methods to facilitate
simultaneous media multitasking, to assist in the development of services, reference
designs, and standards, and to license this technology broadly for widespread use. Partner
inquiries and feedback are invited.
Richard Reisman -- Bio
Richard R. Reisman, President, Teleshuttle Corporation
20 East 9th Street, New York, NY 10003
home - CoTV home - Concept - Tech - Cable/Sat - MediaCenter - CoTV Ads - Users - Why CoTV/FAQ - About Teleshuttle
|Coactive media: Relating to media
multitasking. The simultaneous or alternating use of two or more media, such as TV
and Internet (Web, etc.), especially where the using of the media is synchronized or
typically (but not necessarily) on multiple devices or screens.
Coactive TV: Relating
to multitasking use of both television and the Internet (Web, etc.). The simultaneous or alternating use of TV and the
Internet, especially where the using of both media is coordinated or synchronized, and
especially where the TV and the Internet browser are automatically coordinated with one
(but not necessarily) on multiple devices or screens.
Copyright 2011, Teleshuttle Corp. All
rights reserved. / Patents pending